Swidget 1.0

Friday, April 24, 2009

Frugal Friday: Frugal Gardening

I posted a while back about getting free seeds here and here. So far I have gotten free peas, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, and basil. Now I needed to get those seeds started and I wanted to find a way to get the seeds going. Last year I went to the store and bought a seed starting kit for about $20, this year I wanted to see if I could come up with a cheaper way. I am trying two different methods that I would like to share with you and post the progress to see if one works better than the other. So, the two methods; toilet paper tubes and egg cartons.
I placed both the toilet paper tubes (cut in half) and egg cartons inside a plastic shoe box container. Next, I filled each spot with dirt, place two seeds in each compartment and topped with more dirt. Now you just water and wait, wait, wait. I will follow up in later posts about how the seeds are growing. Let me know how you are prepping your garden and what your plans are.
For more Frugal Friday tips check out Life as Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment